wpa_supplicant debugging in F9 builds

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 06:52:17 EST 2009

Warning: NM 0.6.5 archaeology follows. Safety gear required.

The problem: Our F9 builds have a patched and cranky NM that doesn't
ever show wpa_supplicant logs.

This has stumped people for a while - as seen in
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-October/020344.html

After a quick grep of the src (
http://xs-dev.laptop.org/~cscott/repos/staging/NetworkManager-0.6.5-0.12.svn3246.olpc3.src.rpm
-- relevant code in src/nm-device-802-11-wireless.c ) the mechanism is
clear: It checks for the existence of
/etc/NetworkManager/log-supplicant -- if the file exists, it will
write the log to that same file. However, there is a bug in the code -
it forgets to pass the path to the file - and if you create that file,
wpa_supplicant fails to start.

I've patched it, and rebuilt NM (on a F9 builder). Works correctly.

Note - As things stand, wpa_supplicant is always in debug mode even if
the output is discarded. I have resisted the temptation fixing this.
Such change can affect timing subtly which we have seen affect WPA
connections.

(OTOH, this may well be a source of WPA regressions seen in the field!)

Trivial patch -
http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/NetworkManager-0.6.5-supplicant-logging.patch

RPMs
http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/public_rpms/8.2-papercuts/