versioned partitioned upgrading: safety boot configuration

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Nov 5 02:11:46 EST 2009

Hi,

Thanks, your mails are really helpful.

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 21:02 -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> Second, unfortunately, the instructions as written are *not* equivalent:
> Mitch and Scott decided to simplify the partitioned design by insisting
> that
>
>    a) boot:/boot     be a symlink pointing to 'boot-versions/XXX'
>    b) boot:/boot/alt be a symlink pointing to '../YYY'.

I don't understand what you mean here - you are saying that the
instructions currently on the wiki are not equivalent to the
instructions originally written by Mitch and Scott?

The wiki agrees with those symlinks above.

> P.S. - Tit for tat: how is the correct root partition identified and
> communicated from ??? -> OFW -> initramfs -> ??? -> updater -> ????

OFW looks for boot/olpc.fth on the first partition of the internal SD
card
boot/olpc.fth says
	" root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ......." to boot-file
the kernel ignores root= because we're using an initramfs, but the
initramfs parses it

I'm not sure if we've yet done the work/investigation to make sure that
if there is an external SD card plugged in, the internal one is still
always mmc0.

Daniel