crond disabled?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Nov 4 15:21:55 EST 2009

> Agreed, on both F11 for XO-1 (os8) and F11 for XO-1.5 (os33). However /
> etc/cron.d has olpc specific files present.

I see olpc things in /etc/cron.d/, but I don't see any way to get to it.
/etc/crontab is empty (on my os8 on a XO-1)  So is /var/spool/cron/

> F9 for XO-1 (802) uses crond for ds-backup, olpc-pwr-prof, and
> olpc-update.

Do we really want to be running something like update which (I assume) takes
significant resources without consulting with the user?  I'd be grumpy if
things slowed down mysteriously, or worse if my real work got killed because
some cron job triggered OOM.

My home systems do most of their cron work in the early morning when I'm
asleep.  (I leave them running 7x24.)  Sometimes, I'm still up when some of
the heavy work starts running and the performance hit is annoying.

How do people with laptops handle cron jobs?  I'd expect them to be turned
off at the equivalent of early morning.  How/when do you do backups?  updates?