[Sugar-devel] On Sugar 0.84 - status of the "Chat/collab leader" issue...

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 04:38:40 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 9:54 PM, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com> wrote:
> moving to mission control 5 and letting go of the admittedly
> antiquated sugar presence now

In planning future work in rpesence and collab stuff, I have a small,
humble suggestion.

Figuring out if a presence service / collab infra works and scales
properly on both wired and wireless networks is hard. Very hard. We've
been gotten it wrong several times by looking at the theory (instead
of hard-nosed testing).

Right now we have something that -- while less than ideal -- at least
works for a number of scenarios.

If you play with a major component replacement

 - test it for scalability & stability over wifi before doing a lot of
integration work

 - do the integr work on a branch

 - test that the integrated thing works stable and scalable

Of course that's ideal world stuff. However, the heart of the matter
is: approach mission control tentatively... and at least _some_
significant testing needs to happen before it's merged...

We've gotten this wrong a few times -- I am not keen on repeating the
adventures... :-/

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions