Emacs love and window sizing

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 12:07:14 EST 2009

The good news for emacs lovers is that yum install emacs works almost
ok out of the box. With some glitches -- mischievously designed by the
vim cabal that festers around OLPC... ;-)

- You do need to apply this patch:
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-August/017918.html

- The default font is huge - this is something I can probably tame from .emacs

- Emacs gets its window size wrong -- and the status bar is not and
"command buffer" are not completely visible. I am not sure how to give
emacs or the wm the right window size. Hints?

The font and window sizing issues go away if you run console emacs using

    DISPLAY= emacs /path/to/file

which is a bit of a wonky workaround, but gets the job done.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions