[Sugar-devel] On Sugar 0.84 - status of the "Chat/collab leader" issue...

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 3 10:07:17 EST 2009

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
>> Other activities that support some form of collaboration like Chat, Browse,
>> Etoys, TurtleArt, Arithmetic, Maze, Pippy, etc, etc, don't care who started
>> the activity first, or who goes away.
>
> Are you positive about this? I don't meant to troll -- but I am seeing
> issues (with Chat for example) where if the leader goes, 3rd parties
> cannot join anymore.

That is remarkable, and worth investigating.  The Chat activity in
particular is designed to survive loss of the initiator, and has been
since the very first release.

One related issue is  http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/934 .  Once the
initiator leaves, the initiator can no longer re-join due to an issue in
the GUI.  That bug contains a patch, but it's unclear to me whether that
patch was ever applied.  Maybe Tomeu can clarify the situation.

--Ben