open 80211s on XO 1.5

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Sun Nov 1 23:55:19 EST 2009

>  Computer are supposed to be a Science ...

Regardless of what anyone thinks computing is "supposed" to be, in
reality what it really is is business.

Things happen because or money or the hope of money.  OLPC tries to buck
that trend to some extent, but all of the components that we buy, and
all of the partner companies that we depend on for components and
manufacturing services, are money-driven.  If a component is not
profitable, it becomes unavailable.  If a software component (e.g. an
802.11s networking stack) does not appeal to paying customers, serious
development on it eventually ceases.

The Open Source software movement is a bit less money-driven than
commercial software development, but the money connection is still there
in the background.  The FOSS software that eventually reaches a usable
quality level is mostly the stuff for which some company is funding the
work.