Longer XO transformer power cord in the plans?

Tiago Marques tiagomnm at gmail.com
Sun May 31 13:32:23 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Reinder de Haan <rs at mveas.com> wrote:

> Tiago Marques wrote:

> anchoring.

> >> +1 for inline adaptor its MUCH easier to exchange only the mains cable:
> >> 1) when its demaged
> >> 2) when shiping to a different part of the world
> >>  you would need only one powersupply brick for (almost?) all or the
> world.
> >> i have seen some companies ship a couple of different cables so the
> >> device is usable almost everywhere and doesn't need to be custom
> >> packed/country.
> >>
> >> i would go which IEC-60320 C8/C9 which is used for half of the laptops
> >> today.
> >
> > Completely not the picture around this part of Europe. Most of them
> > come with C13 and some are being sold with C7, which is pretty much a
>
> oops i meant C7/C8 NOT C9!!
>
> > standard for other types electronics. C13 would be my favorite, if the
> > size of the plug is not an issue, since it is also the standard for
> > computer power supplies. As mentioned above, C5 would also be sweet.
>
> both are an earthed connector and so 'require' an earthed outlet.
> combined with that almost all power supplies i have seen with a C5/C6 or
> C13/C14 connect the earth input to the ground/0V dc output...
> if you insert such power supply into an not earthed outlet (which are
> quite common)
> your whole laptop will be at ~1/2*Uin Vac due to the filter capacitors
> in the mains filter.
> which gives a nasty shock if you touch both a non insulated part of your
> laptop and a earthed object..

Sadly true, but a redisign of the XO power supply wouldn't take the earthing
into account, right? So no problems for us.
The power adapter can be design like with the C17 instead, which will also
accept the more abundant C13 cables.
The unpolarised C7 is also quite common and smaller, could be a better
choice, IMHO, than any of the C13 or C5.
Best regards,
Tiago Marques