[Fwd: Xo 1.5 wlan]

Tiago Marques tiagomnm at gmail.com
Sun May 31 10:09:43 EDT 2009

On 5/31/09, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:

> On May 30, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Reinder E.N. de Haan wrote:
>
>> Subject: Xo 1.5 wlan
>> Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 19:56:27 +0200
>> From: Reinder de Haan <rs at mveas.com>
>> To: John Watlington <wad at laptop.org>
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a couple of questions regarding the wlan module in xo 1.5;
>>
>> 1) will it be an off the shelf module (3th party) or a quanta/olpc
>> 'private' module
>
> One of the complications of the Gen 1.5 design has been improving
> the WLAN module.   The existing module takes lots of power, and
> the USB driver still needs extensive modification to speed up
> suspend/resume.

Being power the major concern, will wireless range also be enhanced in
some way? Most of the early claims that the XO had a top class
wireless range have not materialized, at least when I compare it to
other devices like a Fon2100 or an IPW2200 from Intel, which is
probably the device with best wireless range that I've ever seen.

A way to change the transmit power in software would be great for
power and range, depending on the application. Does the module have
anything like that or are you just mainly focusing on power and
relegating range to 2nd place?

Best regards,

Tiago Marques