The XO-1.5 software plan.

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Mon May 18 11:06:25 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
>   > Of course, this equation gets still more complicated depending on
>   > whether we have MTD or FTL flash.  Choosing a filesystem will be
>   > an interesting exercise.
>
> I think it's clear that we'll be using an FTL of some kind.  (Which
> kind in particular will depend on more testing with the new A-Test
> board.)
>
> So, as a strawman, I'll suggest uncompressed ext2.  Depending on the
> FTL, something else may be more reasonable instead.

FWIW, Ubuntu and "others which shall remain nameless" use a unionfs
combining a read-only squashfs for the system code with a writeable
uncompressed ext2 filesystem.  This seems to combine the best of both
worlds, and upgrades just involve swapping out the squashfs file.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )