XO id transfer to SD OS install

Bobby Powers bobbypowers at gmail.com
Sat May 16 15:35:13 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Chris Marshall
<jns-cmarshall at comcast.net> wrote:
> I would like to upgrade my XO to boot from
> an SD install of the OS.  Is there a way
> to transfer the identity information from
> the original install to the SD boot so that:
>
> (1) XO colors are the same
> (2) Nickname is the same
> (3) Friends are the same
> (4) It stays "Friends" with other XOs transparently
>
> I've been using a different name, hand setting
> the colors and name and re-friending every time
> I upgrade.  It is a pain for me.  For other XO
> users, I would like to give them the upgrade in
> capability transparently.

You should be able to copy the /home/olpc folder to an SD card or USB
stick.  I believe everything you need is actually in /home/olpc/.sugar
, so just recursively copy (cp -r) that folder into your new home
folder, and it should retain all your identity info.  I don't know if
you will run into datastore issues upgrading to a newer version of
sugar (a Sugar dev would know better), so you might want to keep a
backup copy around.

bobby