Fwd: The XO-1.5 software plan.

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Sat May 16 13:42:29 EDT 2009

> The 1GHz C7 is still a slow cpu, as it seems from reviews of similar
> netbooks:
>
> http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4352
>
> For most tasks it is slower than an 600MHz Celeron M and that's not
> exactly fast. Does anyone more familiar with the hardware have any
> idea of how fast it is when compared to the Geode?

 From my measurements of the Geode and the very limited "documentation"
of the C7 I can speculate that the integer unit can have similar speed
to the Geode clock-by-clock (but can have a better branch predictor and
faster movsb/movsd implementation) and probably the floating point unit
is better integrated so floating point code does not block the integer
unit like on the Geode. So if we do not consider the 3d unit or the
probably better flash hardware (scatter-gather support) it will have
exactly the same speed on similar clock speeds but of course it can go
more than 2x faster.