[Sugar-devel] dumping datastore to another filesystem

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri May 15 12:52:05 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 5:14 AM, Carol Farlow Lerche <cafl at msbit.com> wrote:
> Martin, the last disk we bought, a few days ago, was $100 and half a
> terabyte.  I understand that you are trying to fit the XS into the
> preexisting XO hardware, but realistically it is unlikely to be a
> configuration a real school could use by itself.  The deployments we know
> about so far have large numbers of kids.  It seems inconsistent to plan for
> huge numbers of users on the wireless and yet hypothesize that the disk
> space will be limited to the tiny amount on a flash card.

I am not so sure that I agree. I suppose it all depends on what we
call "tiny". I have a 64 GB drive on my laptop and I am using only 36%
of it. Prices of SD are dropping rapidly. USB Flash is also quite
cheap. Of course, spinning drives are cheaper. I just bought a
external USB 1TB drive for $119.

Even if XS on XO is unlikely, I see no reason for increasing the
footprint of a system if it can be avoided.

I myself was looking for the fuse module so that I can transfer the
datastore to my Ubuntu laptop and grab objects there. So, the mono
dependencies will not be on the XO, but on my Ubuntu laptop, which I
am not too worried about.