[Sugar-devel] dumping datastore to another filesystem

Torello Querci torello at torosoft.com
Fri May 15 08:44:11 EDT 2009

Il giorno ven, 15/05/2009 alle 10.21 +0200, Martin Langhoff ha scritto:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 10:52 PM, torello <torello at torosoft.com> wrote:
> > the fuse module is published.
> > You can find it here:
> > http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/fsgateway/repos/mainline
>
> Surprise! It's written in Mono!
>
> I was wondering about whether I could use it on the XS to replace my
> PHP implementation of the DS reader (which already handles version "0"
> and 1 of the DS :-) ) but Mono is a bit of a monster of a dependency
> to bring in.
>
> C or Python would have been much better :-(

Actually this implementation is made with mono, yes. But it is possibile
to migrate to other environment like C in a second step to have better
performance and lower footprint of course.
This module can be used for access datastore data as file, on a normal
linux box, not only on XS. I use it to get the user datafile from a soas
mounting the home.img datafile.

For an XS environment is it possible to get a linux executable so not all the mono stack is necessary to run it.
Only few shared library need to be used.

> This is a cool project, and I am sure it is interesting and useful
> outside the Sugar stack itself. But somewhat ill-suited for building
> Sugar and XS tools -- maybe I had my hopes up on something it wasn't
> meant to be :-(

This project not start to access the datastore files, but implement it
was easy, so I do it. Of course the target is not XS but the normal
linux desktop with soas. In this case you simply plug the stick, mount
the image and access the datafile.
Normally linux box have mono installed, so I think that is not a big
problem. The only special dependency is mono-fuse library that can be
not available on all distro.

Cheers, Torello.