2PM EDT Friday NOW! Brief Contributors Program Mtg (#olpc-meeting)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri May 8 14:00:48 EDT 2009

Starts Now!
Join us reviewing the latest OLPC/Sugar community projects today 2PM
EDT, Boston Time:
  http://forum.laptop.org/chat

Then type at bottom:
  /join #olpc-meeting

AGENDA:

* New Libraries!
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects#XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring?!
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
  http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

* Fast Review of the 5 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals:

1. Webified: Sugarizing Web Apps GSoC [UK]
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=39547
    http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Webified

   Requests 1 XO for 3-4 months

   Project Objectives:
    I'm making a template SSB
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Site-specific_browser> activity and a
small utility that can create activities out of websites using that
template. This combination will make sugarizing web apps almost entirely
automatic.
    The purpose of this project is twofold:

    * it would make it easy to "sugarize" web apps (like gmail).

    Users could press a button in the Browse activity (or there could be
a separate activity for this) and a small tool would help them create a
sugarized web app as a new activity.

    * there are a lots of web developers out there that are familiar
      with HTML(5), CSS and JavaScript and it would be great to take
      advantage of their skills.

    Web developers could use Webified to port their web apps to sugar
using only web technologies, without having to learn Python.

2. abcube:3D edu game [MOROCCO]
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=39624
    http://code.google.com/p/abcube/

    Requests 1 XO for 3 months

    Project Objectives:
    Test the possibility of the use of 3D interactive games and
applications regarding the hardware limitation of the xo laptop.  See
above link!

3. Adding Print Support GSoC [INDIA]
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=39752
    http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Print_Support

    Requests 1 XO for about 4 months

    Project Objectives:
    Add print support to the laptops.For the time being, the print
requests will be sent to the school server through a moodle print page
then the teacher can view the files through his login in the same
application, and approve them for printing to a print server. We will
also be including a fallback strategy that is usb printing.

    My refined version of the print support idea is actually a better
way of ensuring that paper abuse will be curbed, as the kids wouldn't
really take into account :all the predicaments associated
with :printing. And needless to say printing does take place with the
teacher's intervention. And everything takes place in a moodle
environment, plus there is the added benefit of printing in the No XO case.

    (The first step would essentially mean a Save as PDF hack and put
the jobs for processing on moodle )

4. Karma project [MEXICO, mentor in NEPAL]
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=39761
    http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Karma/application

    Requests 1 XO for 5 months

    Project Objectives:
    The main idea is to boost educational Web Develop.
    There are lots of designers-particularly in developing
countries-that want to contribute to OLPC. The bad news is that they
don't know python. or GTK+. They may not even be familiar with linux.
They do know HTML, CSS, Javascript, and Adobe Flash. ... Due to rise of
the Internet and related boom in outsourcing, the vast, vast majority of
programmers in developing countries are web developers(according to my
own grossly unscientific survey). The rise of the Internet has also led
a lot of talented graphic designers in developing and developed
countries to learn web technologies. ... Unfortunately, there aren't any
IDE's that provide WYSIWYG animation editing for DOJO, JQuery, and
Processing.js and so on tools. While real programmers use emacs (or vi,
joe, sam, etc.), designers use WYSIWYG GUI's. from How to Make Activity
Designers Happy , Parts I and II
<http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2009-January/003433.html>

    I propose using web technologies for completely offline activities.
Allowing activity designers to quickly build activities utilizing
widely-used tools. We need Karma (original idea Bryan Berry
<http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:BryanWB>) to enable web designers to
quickly build activities for the XO without having to learn a whole new
skillset. So...I will creat an educational framework (Karma) using html5
+ JavaScript, it will handle animation ( through <canvas>), sounds
(through <audio>), also client-side i18n (according to browser locale)
and general persistence (Gears) at the end we will have a re-usable
javascript libraries for lesson plan reader (ideally with plain html
rather than a pdf or other proprietary format), navigation and help
(ideally reusing widgets from popular javascript libraries like Jquery,
Prototype, Mootools or DOJO), etc. this framework will allow web
designers to reuse their existing skills and tools.

    The objective is to provide a single prototype activity which could
be used as a template for sugarizing AJAX activities. I will recreate an
existing activity such as one of OLE Nepal's flash activities
<http://www.pustakalaya.org/external-content/static/epaath/E-Paath-2.activity/activity/Activity/MenuStage.html>.

    I am planning to use

    * Webkit for html rendering engine.
    * Google Gear's Filesystem API because it seems to have the most
      traction in the linux world.

5. Craftsmann Laptop Library [GHANA]
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=39880
    http://www.craftsmannfoundation.org

    Requests 40 XO's for unlimited months

    Project Objectives:
    Craftsmann Laptop Library is design to introduce the students in the
Rural Communities to the Information and Communication Technology and to
enable schools in different geographical communicate to each other
through our low-cost telecommunication infrastructure.