ffreep support on Geode LX (XO-1)

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu May 7 14:46:19 EDT 2009

2009/5/7 NoiseEHC <NoiseEHC at freemail.hu>:

>> please file a ticket at dev.laptop.org, with details on how to
>> reproduce the ffreep issue using build 802.  (if it's only
>> reproducible with debxo (unclear from what's been written so
>> far), then the priority (and the fix) will likely be very
>> different.)
>>

> I cannot reproduce it reliably so I do not know what should I file as a
> bug. What I have seen with 800 (months ago) can be seen here:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Xo_freeze_on_shutdown.png
> I think that it is sure that at least some parts of the 80x versions
> contain some code compiled with illegal instructions.

I'm pretty sure the shutdown "freeze" (which can be unfrozen by using
ctrl+alt+f1/f2 to change terminals) is totally unrelated to any
instruction problems. I am pretty sure I have an explanation of the
shutdown freeze, it's a race that occurs when 2 processes try to chvt
at the same time (the 2 processes being X as it terminates and moves
to the console, and ul-warning as it tries to move to the graphical
terminal). Examining chvt source code makes it pretty obvious why this
might happen... The switch process is actually switch-and-wait,
performed by 2 separate ioctls, and hence is not atomic.

I tried adding appropriate diagnostics once but this occurs
frustratingly rarely that I never got to see if my theory is correct.

Daniel