[Fwd: Re: Ambient light sensing via LED response]

Reinder de Haan rs at mveas.com
Wed May 6 18:14:17 EDT 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Ambient light sensing via LED response
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 00:02:49 +0200
From: Reinder de Haan <rs at mveas.com>
To: rafael at laptop.org
<C5D4A4E5-B183-4B7D-BAFB-3488E15F7B7A at laptop.org>
<c6d9bea0905011128j2d5cdf3cw975cfad7904804ee at mail.gmail.com>
<675D3C5C-95ED-4EE9-84BC-3B51646758C3 at laptop.org>
<c6d9bea0905042207i458ed9b1if74e0e16d24f5b64 at mail.gmail.com>
<4A00A073.8020706 at mveas.com>
<a80d16920905051544s525b7039nf7e87a4a3c754ee0 at mail.gmail.com>
<75DC0458-925B-4792-9AEE-A24B9B1F37B8 at laptop.org>
<a80d16920905051952h3d82d15brb8f690cf1c402e37 at mail.gmail.com>

Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero wrote:

> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 8:34 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org
> <mailto:wad at laptop.org>> wrote:
>

>     On May 5, 2009, at 6:44 PM, Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero wrote:
>
>         These measurements are really cool.
>
>         But the question remains in whether the ADC could have a
>         resolution of 1mv?, i mean in light of these measurements is
>         necessary to have an ADC that can reliable sense these
>         variations and then with that basis  have a transfer function
>         and add it to the algorithm.
>

>     Absolutely not.  The A/D is eight bits, with an input range spanning
>     0 - 3.3V, so the best you
>     can hope for is about 13 mV per LSB.  I would guess actual accuracy
>     to be closer to 26 mV.
>

>     But why do you say you would need 1 mV accuracy ?   Bright sunlight
>     is far stronger than
>     the light sources he used.
>

> i don't know if the measurements at sunlight would show the same
> variations.. we would have to make new measurements, but for experience,
> the variations of voltage regarding light sensing are not of
> considerable amounts, so if the accuracy is 26mv, we would have to see
> if a perceptible change in ambient light could be of a higher magnitude
> than 26mv, if not the accuracy could be lost..

i did some more experiments and at ~20 cm from the halogen lamp i doest
matter is i turn the backlight full on of off .. i dont have color
anymore....
at that distance the bare led gave about 250mv (maybe a bit more into a
very high R fet gate...)

i guess it would be around 70mv whit the light guide in front of it..
(i guess this be more (150mv?) with a very high R (~25 Mohm?) fet gate
as only load)

i would add a simple amp (mosfet? or maybe cheap opamp ?)
to amplify ~X10 so 300mv would be full scale..
my memory is dusty but that should be posible with 2 resistors an a fet
? gain would be posible to change by replacing one of the resistors with
a bigger / lower value...

maybe a trasistor is better bc the leds is acts as a current source ?

ideas welcome

if i can get the partnr of a fet/transistor that would be usable (and
cheap enough) i could maybe order a couple of them from say farnell and
hack something together here....

is there a free or hackable input on the current EC ? (or is that
different from the ec that will be in 1.5 ?