[IAEP] DC Photo Jam 2 - New batch of photos of SoaS running onnetbooks

Tiago Marques tiagomnm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 11:55:44 EDT 2009

2009/3/17 Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 05:42:36AM -0400, John Watlington wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't think the processor is the biggest factor. In my profiling, I
> > > have seen bigger impact from jffs2/nand, the graphics subsystem and
> > > the lack of swap.
> >
> > > If you run Soas-1 on a sd card with some swap space, you will see how
> > > the XO feels much faster.
> >
> > The difference here is that read access to data/programs on an SD
> > card is about twice as fast as JFFS2 (and incurs little processor
> > overhead, whereas JFFS2 tends to occupy the processor 100%), and
> > write access is about 15 times faster than JFFS2.  I doubt the
> > speedup is due to the presence of swap.
>
> Adding SWAP on the standard XO distro running from NAND does speed things
up a lot. While it may still be faster to use SoaS on an SD card, the
difference of just adding a few MB of SWAP memory makes the system able to
run more than one/two apps at a time.
Last weekend, I managed to crash the XO by having browse open and adding up
the Talk activity - this without SWAP - it just "crashed" the whole system,
as the lack of SWAP made it constantly read from disk while removing some
pages from memory. I waited 10min and couldn't even login from console, as
the time it took to read the login details made it timeout before it could
be completed.
With SWAP everything was slow but nothing crashed and Talk actually "talked"
to me.
Best regards,
                        Tiago Marques