Attn: Tony Anderson--Text To Speech in Read Etexts

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon Mar 16 11:03:21 EDT 2009

Tony,

I lost your emails but found a record of them in nabble.  Unfortunately
I couldn't get your email address from that.  I'm hoping that if I post
this to the devel list you'll see it or someone will forward it to you.

You had expressed an interest in my Activity Read Etexts, specifically
the Text to Speech feature.  If you tried the current version using
speech-dispatcher you were no doubt disappointed.  The text highlighting
didn't work all that well, and installing speech-dispatcher is something
worth avoiding.

I am pleased to report that Aleksey Lim, as part of his work on Sugar on
a Stick, has become a contributor to Read ETexts and has made
significant improvements to it.  He has created a gstreamer plugin for
espeak that does everything speech-dispatcher did, but does not require
running a demon or doing any special configuration.  This plugin will be
part of SoaS and future versions of Sugar.  What is even better, the
plugin is far superior to speech-dispatcher at generating text
highlighting callbacks.  It still misses a word now and then but it
doesn't fall behind.

I have not published this version of the Activity yet because the
gstreamer espeak plugin is not generally available yet.  However, if you
are interested in giving it a try I can email you everything you need as
attachments.

Thanks,

James Simmons