XO boot problem

Philipp Kocher philipp.kocher at gmx.net
Tue Mar 10 06:16:06 EDT 2009

Hi,

An other school in Cambodia has the problem that several XOs don't boot
anymore. Some of the XOs have build 708 and other ones build 767
installed. All are in secure mode.
With a dignostic startup the following information is last shown on the
screen:
OLPC C2, 256 MiB memory installed, S/N CSN75001163
OpenFirmware CL1 Q2D16 Q2D

Nothing happens anymore afterwards.

The OFW hardware diagnostic is still working.
After a clean install the XO works fine again but all the data is lost.

Has anyone a solution for that problem or input for further diagnosis?

I wanted to recommend a firmware update, but the file bootfw.zip is
missing in the directory for the newer firmware releases (e.g. q2e18 for
build 767):
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Upgrading_firmware#Steps_to_upgrade_firmware

Regards,
Philipp