enabling security

Ed McNierney ed at laptop.org
Mon Mar 9 13:11:32 EDT 2009

Rodolfo -

If you're not familiar with Forth and/or Open Firmware, you should
know that whitespace and punctuation are important.  Make sure to
follow Mitch's directions carefully, preferably by copying and pasting
from his message.  The "ok" at the beginning of each line is the OFW
prompt and you should not include it.

	- Ed

On Mar 9, 2009, at 1:01 PM, Mitch Bradley wrote:

> Rodolfo D. Arce S. wrote:
>> It gives a "Confirmation code mismatch" error..
>>
>> i've tryed with lower and upper case, just to make sure..
>>
>> ok enable-security SHC836023B0
>> Confirmation code mismatch
>> ok enable-security shc836023b0
>> Confirmation code mismatch
>
> Type:
>
>   ok .mfg-data
>
> and make sure that the SN is the same as what you typed.
>
> If it still doesn't work, try this patch:
>
>   ok : nx -null safe-parse-word ;
>   ok patch nx safe-parse-word enable-security
>   ok enable-security SHC836023B0
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Mitch Bradley <wmb at laptop.org
>> <mailto:wmb at laptop.org>> wrote:
>>

>>        I'm working for the paraguayian deployment, and while testing
>>        i got the
>>        security of a laptop disabled, but i can seem to enable it
>> again
>>
>>        to disable:
>>        i got a developer key, and on the "ok" prompt, i typed
>>        "disable-security"
>>        it all worked just fine, i did all that i wanted to do
>>
>>        to enable:
>>        i get to the "ok" prompt and type "enable-security" but it
>>        gives me an error
>>        "Unexpected end-of-line"
>>        and security is still disabled
>>
>>        is there a step that i'm missing? o perhaps a parameter that i
>>        should be
>>        giving at the prompt?
>>

>>    Yes, you now have to type the serial number as confirmation, for
>>    example:
>>
>>     ok enable-security SHF73300042
>>
>>    Since we are moving to "security is off by default" , we added the
>>    serial number argument to make it harder for children to do
>>    something that would make their machine stop working.

Ed McNierney
CTO / VP of Engineering
One Laptop per Child
ed at laptop.org