Lockup of 800 and 801

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Mar 3 12:09:48 EST 2009

On 3 Mar 2009, at 16:35, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> Both 800 and 801 lockup completely fairly regularly. Once locked up
> the
> keys don't work . All I can do is hit the start button to turn the
> machine off and then turn it back on.
>
> Am I the only one having this problem?

Hi Aaron,

Occasional lockups for me are almost always related to lack of memory.
Can you describe what/how many Activities you usually have running?

The two that catch me out more often are Read and Browse:

- Read; it depends on the complexity of the PDF, but it (evince) is
having to rasterize pages as you scroll and zoom about – a good
example is trying to zoom way in on the pdf world maps provided in the
default installed library, you'll soon run out of memory.

- Browse; Sites with heavy flash are very bad (that why it's a REALY
GOOD IDEA not to disable that magic CSS tweak that does the 'click to
flash' trick, actually I started using a similar flash blocker on my
main machine and life is a lot smoother). Obviously very long,
complicated pages can also cause memory issues, a good example is
using Google Reader, it works well for about 15min of my usual reading
habit before I'm in danger of a lockup.

Hope that helps.

--Gary