[Sugar-devel] Future of Rainbow + Sugar?

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Sun Mar 1 18:51:31 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:09:26AM -0800, Carol Farlow Lerche wrote:
> My post was a request to the most knowledgeable person, Michael to do the
> service of taking the time to write a document that clearly lays out
>.  the purpose (not in security speak but in terms of the benefits it brings
>to end users),
>.  the relevance of APIs versus packaging elements versus choices by the
>sugar shell/infrastructure developers,
>.  things that the activity developers can and can't do (given that I, at
>least, hope that new developers will participate, who have preconceptions
>from other environments),
>. things that are hoped for in future development (well delimited from things
>that are there now.)
>Good documentation is hard, and wiki pages are only good documentation if
>the wiki is maintained with great discipline (which I fear is not the case
>at w.l.o).  But for a subtle and complex feature such as Rainbow, good
>documentation would be a motivator for use both within and outside the sugar

I can't promise that I've reached "clearly lays out" yet, but I /have/ worked a
bit on unifying the Rainbow wiki page:

and I think that I could now use some more feedback about which parts are
working for you and which parts aren't.

P.S. - Other sugar folks might be interested to hear that Sascha Silbe (silbe)
managed to launch some activities under rainbow inside sugar-jhbuild. You
should follow up with him if you'd like to improve the system.