rotate button sucks on the XO

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Sun Mar 1 18:43:07 EST 2009

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, Eben Eliason wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM,  <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, Eben Eliason wrote:
>>
>>> This whole argument, I feel, is fruitless.  That's just my opinion, of
>>> course.
>>>
>>> The touchpad isn't readily accessible in handheld mode, and was never
>>> made to be.  I'll continue to suggest that the cursor simply be
>>> automatically hidden in handheld mode, and that a simple means for
>>> taking full advantage of the handheld buttons which are present be
>>> made available to activities in a standardized way.
>>
>> actually, it's pretty easy to lift the screen a bit and hit the touchpad if
>> you have the screen oriented in portrit rather than landscape (in many ways
>> it's easier than hitting the game keys)
>
> But /why/?  Can you honestly say that's a desired mode of interaction?
> I think proper support of the keys would negate the need for such
> clumsiness.

two reasons

first:

if you hold the XO in e-book mode with the handle on the top or bottom the
keys are readily accessable.

however if you hold it with the handle on the left or right they are not
very accessable.

second, you may want to use the keys for something else and not dedicate
them to moving the mouse around.

not all activities in this mode are going to be the same, so the best that
you can do is to steal 6 of the 8 keys to simulate the mouse (four for
direction, two for the two mouse buttone), that works, but it's not
optimal.

one thing that would be very handy would be if the XO could disable the
mouse buttons when it detects that it is in e-book mode, as-is it's
possible to press a mouse button accidently when holding the machine by
that side in e-book mode.

David Lang