bitfrost python modules mess

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Fri Jun 26 11:00:46 EDT 2009

Hi,

In the latest sugar, the activity updater doesn't work because it can't
import bitfrost.update.actutils

The entire bitfrost.update python module tree is shipped by
sugar-update-control, not any separate package.

The error appears because these 2 (empty) files are missing:
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/bitfrost/__init__.py
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/bitfrost/update/__init__.py
These files are needed to identify the directories as python modules.

...and this raises the question on which package should have
installed /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/bitfrost/__init__.py?

Up to this point, the different python bitfrost modules have been
scattered through various packages including sugar-update-control,
olpc-contents, olpc-update, ...

I think it's time that we cleared this up a bit. I propose that that we
create a new "bitfrost" git repo, and step by step we move in all the
python bitfrost modules.

This would go into fedora as a new package called "bitfrost" which would
have subpackages for "update", "contents", "leases", etc.

Finally sugar-update-control would depend on the specific subpackage
bitfrost-update. This would depend on the core bitfrost package, which
would install /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/bitfrost/__init__.py and
not much more. This bug would be fixed and things would be more
organised.

Thoughts?
Daniel