XO frequently hangs on shutdown w/ 0.82

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Wed Jun 3 10:02:25 EDT 2009

daniel wrote:
 > 2009/6/3 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>:
 > > Maybe you are seeing the issue discussed here?
 > >
 > > http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2009-May/024414.html
 >
 > I think so too, but an explanation of what is on the screen at the
 > point of the hang would not go amiss.
 >
 > My tentative plans are to roll Bobby's new graphics work into the
 > XO-1.5 OS, and I'll make sure (through avoiding the use of
 > VT_WAITACTIVE) that there is no chance for my suspected race condition
 > to occur. Hopefully that will then be backported to XO-1 by someone,
 > which should not be difficult.

just anecdotally, i haven't seen the shutdown hang since i
started running bobby's bootanim.  i presume the race against X
is still there, but whether because of overall timing or a
narrowing of the window, is just not hit anymore.

dan -- have you considered trying to create a new console ioctl
to help avoid this?  a variant of VT_WAITACTIVE with a timeout,
perhaps?  it's such an old problem...

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org