Videos of XO 1.5 in Taipei

Tiago Marques tiagomnm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 08:57:59 EDT 2009

Yes, mostly as a safety precaution, especially when there will be a full
fledged Gnome Desktop and other heavier applications. The on-board flash is
a terrible place to accomodate SWAP, unless we end up with 8GiB and proper
wear levelling for the flash blocks.
1GB is a lot more than I would expect you would refresh the device with but
if there is interest in targeting more "grown up" usage of the XO 1.5, the
1GB of RAM fills up relatively fast when one or two leaky apps, like
Firefox, or one that is packaged with a few bugs. This is pretty common in
distributions that move at a fast space, which is the case with Fedora.
The occasional access to SWAP, even on a cheap SD card, would not wear it up
much, probably ending up lasting the lifetime of the device, of what 5
years? In a timespan like that it would avoid the machine becoming
"obsolete" for a lack of something as simple as expandable virtual memory.
It's better to have the device slow down that to completely "crash" and lose
unsaved work, IMHO. These are reasons why even 1GB netbooks with severely
cut down versions of Linux still use a small amount of SWAP memory.
It's a question of monitoring the usage of memory during testing of the beta
1.5 XO to see if this is worthwhile considering or not. Are there any plans
to run the laptops for a few weeks with a typical "grown up" usage scenario?
Best regards,
Tiago Marques