#9318 NORM 1.5-ATe: Via framebuffer failure on 1.5

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Wed Jun 3 01:59:41 EDT 2009

Hi Harald,

   > this means you need to boot with vmalloc=<something-bigger>.  The
   > framebuffer needs to be vmalloc'ed.  So if you have a relatively
   > small amount of RAM, and the BIOS is configured for 256MB
   > framebuffer size, the kernel-selected vmalloc area is smaller
   > than what we need for the framebuffer.  So you have three

Thanks very much; with vmalloc=256M I can use viafb from OFW.  Viafb
takes about twenty seconds to load, perhaps because we rerouted the
EDID pins away from the VGA connector to the panel instead..

However, I haven't worked out why the vmalloc increase is necessary.
OFW passes an FB size of 0x4000, which should be:

        case 0x00004000:
                VideoMemSize = (64 << 20);      /*64M */

(Don't worry about trying to diagnose any of this in the absence of
hardware; it can wait until we're able to make some developer boards
available.)

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>