Disk layout for XO-1.5

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Tue Jul 28 16:06:09 EDT 2009

Another important advantage to partitions is that the existence of a
boot partition isolates the firmware from changes in the filesystem used
for the root.

Advantage #2 that you cite below is also quite valuable - it makes it
easy to preserve user data while replacing/recovering/updating the
system software using the "blast on a fresh image" method.