Windows on the XO (was: Re: Devel Digest, Vol 41, Issue 41)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-olpc-devel at silbe.org
Tue Jul 28 08:21:22 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 07:45:58AM -1000, Mitch Bradley wrote:

>> """
>> For this reason, Sugar needs a wider basis, to run on more Linux
>> platforms and to run under
>> Windows. We have been engaged in discussions with Microsoft for
>> several months, to explore a
>> dual boot version of the XO. Some of you have seen what Microsoft
>> developed on their own for
>> the XO. It works well and now needs Sugar on top of it (so to speak).
>> """
> That quotation is entirely correct according to my understanding.
Sure it is. But it omits the entire reasoning (BIOS vs. Open Firmware ->
Linux/Sugar won't work anymore) for spending OLPC resources on getting
Windows to run on the XO-1.

But it doesn't really matter much as Charles Kane makes it clear in
todays interview [1] that OLPC is now actually selling XOs with Windows
on them:

"""
After the success and the impact we have had [Bill Gates] would take it
very seriously now and we have an agreement with Microsoft so we are
selling Windows XP as part of our dual-boot offering with the computer.
"""

[1]
http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,25843285-24169,00.html

CU Sascha