Disk layout for XO-1.5

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Mon Jul 27 19:42:04 EDT 2009

mitch wrote:
 > This is a request for comments on a proposed disk layout for XO-1.5.
 >
 > XO-1.5 will have "managed NAND" instead of raw NAND, so we can use
 > conventional filesystems instead of e.g. JFFS2.
 >
 > Proposal:
 >
 > The internal NAND storage will be partitioned with an FDISK partition
 > map, into three partitions:
 >
 > /boot - 50 MB - FAT16
 >     Contains olpc.fth, vmlinuz, initrd, and any other files that OFW
 > needs to access during booting
 >
 > / - 2 GB - ext4
 >     Contains system files

i would normally balk at such a large root partition, but if
we're planning on using the olpc-update symlink farm mechanism
for updates, then i think we'll be glad we have it.  (i do think
we need to make sure we're not squandering space needlessly --
the current 1.1G seems large, even accounting for it being
uncompressed, and holding two desktops.)

paul