Need some space

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sat Jul 25 12:57:26 EDT 2009

2009/7/25 Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>:
> Is there a reason why we can't have a single image? AFAICT there's a
> couple of extra kernel modules and an extra xserver package and most
> of the rest of it should be the same between the XO-1 and XO-1.5.

There are too many differences. We do not have a binary kernel that
boots on both laptops (although they share the same source tree so
that is some progress), the firmware is different and incompatible,
the disks are different sizes, and most significantly the disk access
is different: XO-1 has raw flash access so there are only a couple of
sensible filesystem options (we use JFFS2), and XO-1.5 sees the disk
as an ATA device so we have to use ext2 or similar.

That said, overall those differences only lead to a small set of
changes within the build system, hence my push for community build
efforts.

Daniel