[IAEP] The Next Wave of Activity Sharing

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sat Jul 25 05:50:26 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 11:31, Aleksey Lim<alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 10:45:32AM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>> [adding IAEP to cc]

>> > Nice idea!  Thanks for sharing it.
>> >
>> > I presume ideally the config options would offer a website to publish
>> > to, along with the Jabber service.
>>
>> I love the idea of having a site for children to share their work, I
>> think this is going to be really big hit for Sugar. Congratulations on
>> taking this task.
>>
>> We have been already discussing this in #sugar during the last week
>> with Jeff and Aleksey and several good ideas were shared, will be nice
>> to put all our thoughts in common when we get to more detail.
>
> Everyone is welcome to formalize thoughts on
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Server_Objects_Sharing
>
>> A somewhat minor concern I have with your proposal is that I'm not
>> sure that just one global server will be enough for everybody. What
>> about areas with local network but none or little internet access? If
>> on the other hand deployments can set their own server as Bastien
>> suggests, how would a child upload to the global one when connection
>> conditions improve?
>
> But global server doesn't except local servers
> think about www.flickr.com - its global option but every community could
> have local servers.
>
>> One could imagine that the control panel would allow to set a list of
>> servers and the Publish menu item becomes a submenu where you can
>> select the server to upload to, but things get complicated fast with
>> maybe not too much value.
>>
>> What I would propose instead, based on my experience, is to start by
>> the very basics and build on that after getting some feedback from
>> actual users. I see how a publish menu item in the activity palette or
>> the journal makes it easier than having to go to a specific site in
>> Browse, but if you restrict the modifications at first to Browse, then
>> you can install your new activity version on any existing Sugar
>> version.
>
> btw, why just not using Browse, we already do this in case of ASLO
> is there real need to add additional complexity to sugar UI
> at least we could start using Browse, get feedback and add new features
> to 0.88(if its necessary).

That's what I was trying to explain ;) Though I do see some value in
jumping over the step of opening browse and navigating to a specific
site, just think that from the deployment side of things this could be
better done in a future step.

Josh, I think your blog has very interesting stuff about your work in
Sugar, would you like to have it syndicated in
http://planet.sugarlabs.org ?

http://joshstechjournal.blogspot.com/

Thanks,

Tomeu