Windows on XO FUD (was: Re: is anyone actually doing Windows on XO work here?)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-olpc-devel at silbe.org
Tue Jul 21 07:54:33 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 07:21:59AM -0400, Ed McNierney wrote:

> We've tried many times to make the very simple story about Windows
> support on the XO clear.  The conspiracy theorists don't really care.
Maybe "conspiracy theorists" don't care, but I do. Mitchs post cleared
up a _lot_ for me (thanks, Mitch!).

Even the OLPC wiki contains links [1] to misleading reports [2] about
Windows on the XO without any further, clarifying comment.
OLPCNews' quote of NN didn't make it clear [3] as well:

"""
For this reason, Sugar needs a wider basis, to run on more Linux
platforms and to run under
Windows. We have been engaged in discussions with Microsoft for several
months, to explore a
dual boot version of the XO. Some of you have seen what Microsoft
developed on their own for
the XO. It works well and now needs Sugar on top of it (so to speak).
"""

The latter has been my main source of (mis)information regarding the
Windows on XO matter - not some dubious newspaper report as those are
known to get a lot of important facts wrong.

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Dual-boot
[2]
http://gizmodo.com/5018780/first-footage-same-olpc-xo-boots-both-sugar-and-windows-xp
[3]