[Techteam] XO-1.5 Kernel Update (i.e My Weekly Status)

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Jul 20 17:12:48 EDT 2009

Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    > perhaps this should be obvious, but can it handle S-states as
>    > well?  because i believe that's the goal -- freeze the display
>    > and then go into S3.
>
> Looks like no.

Oh? From looking at the code?  Do you mean that it can't, or that it
doesn't now?

>  We could invent a C-state that traps to SMI and goes
> to S3 except I hate this idea already.

I think there's a good argument that S3 with the DCON freeze is very
different from the classic notion of "suspend", and so warrants its own
designation.  More importantly, though, I don't think cpuidle is limited
to ACPI states.  I think you can plug in any "state" you like, if you have
code to enter and leave it.

--Ben