Availability of XO-1.5 ATest-2 machines

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jul 20 13:43:18 EDT 2009

> the trouble is that there is no such thing as 'real data' with
> suspend/resume because the power used is so highly dependant on actual
>  useage patterns.

Can we get get representative data for a few interesting test cases?

I'm thinking of something like having several people read a large document in
e-book mode.  If you record the timings on the keystrokes you can get an
average time-per-page.  Even a stopwatch might be good enough.

Then just set up a system to loop through a large document at that rate until
the battery runs down.

You could also make a few more runs with slightly slower or faster timings.

> however a worst case 'you will always get this much time, and may get
> significantly more' is very repeatable and testable.

A few more runs:
  Wait forever (no keystrokes), just display the same page. (best case)
  No wait, just display pages as fast as possible.  (worst case)

Then there is with/without the backlight....

If the numbers turn out to be crap, then we will have a nice neat pile of
crap numbers that we can use to convince other people that they are crap.

e-book reader is convenient because it is simple and easy for everybody to
understand.  What other activities have some sort of average
keystroke/whatever timing that would be reasonable to measure?