Performance hit while working with screen depth 16

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jul 13 05:40:30 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:24, James Cameron<quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 02:08:13PM +0530, shivaprasad javali wrote:
>> Sorry, I didn't understand the question. If you are talking about where my
>> activity is for you to download, I am sorry I cannot provide you the activity
>> itself.
>
> No, I wasn't asking about the activity.
>
>> If you are asking which file I changed to get the screen depth of the XO to be
>> 24, it is the xorg.conf file present at /etc/X11.
>
> Yes, I was asking about your small script.  Can you provide your small
> script that changes teh screen depth and restarts X?

Btw, the issue of depth transformations have been known in the Geode
for quite some time. We didn't switched to 24bpp because of the amount
of memory available.

AFAIR the problem was that Cairo has no 16bit surfaces on which we
could work, so we use 32 (or is it 24?) and those need to be converted
by the X server. I have heard a rumour about someone (OpenMoko?
Maemo?) having invested resources in adding 16bit surfaces to Qt so it
ran properly on their hardware.

Just found this after some googling:

http://ariya.blogspot.com/2008/08/qt-44-and-maemo.html

Regards,