New kernel branch for XO-1 and XO-1.5 development

Deepak Saxena dsaxena at laptop.org
Thu Jul 9 17:19:21 EDT 2009

On Jul 08 2009, at 22:27, John Gilmore was caught saying:
> Congratulations on the merge.
>
> > Note that currently there is nothing keeping anyone from installing a
> > kernel meant for one gen machine on a different gen machine. Just
> > don't do that. :)
>
> Eventually if both machines are going to run a standard Fedora
> release, the same binary kernel will have to be able to run on both
> (and figure it out at runtime, like it does with most other x86-based
> systems).  I'm presuming from your message that that's scheduled to
> happen some time ... later ...

What I plan on doing is adding something to the pre-install section
of the RPM to check for the proper generation of board. Given that
we are building the for completely different CPU core, we will need
different kernel RPMs to make sure our kernel is optimized for the
given machine.  This will not affect our ability to run the standard
Fedora userland on top of our kernel.

~Deepak