OLPC where to go development advice.

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sat Jan 31 09:06:54 EST 2009

2009/1/31 Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com>:
>  [And if I stop Network
> manager, the XO manages to 'vanish' the *hardware* device to which I
> would be assigning my static-address communications interface.]

A little OT, a hint for you: I think you need to learn about more
about interface state. By default, the kernel boots with interfaces
down, and something in userspace (e.g. networkmanager) has to bring
them up. It kinda makes sense for networkmanager to bring them down
when it exits as well.

By default, ifconfig only shows interfaces that are up. When you say
that they are vanishing, I guess you mean that they do not appear in
ifconfig output. You can use "ifconfig -a" to show all interfaces,
regardless of whether they are up or down. And you can use "ifconfig
<iface> up" and "ifconfig <iface> down" to change the state.

Daniel