OLPC where to go development advice.

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Fri Jan 30 21:45:41 EST 2009

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Carol Farlow Lerche wrote:

> Here is a good current Ubuntu (Intrepid 8.10) to try with installation
> instructions, together with a page that collects the answers to a lot of
> questions that others have come up with:
>
> http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=40
>
> To install it, you will have to buy an SD card (I just put an 8GB Transcend
> SD in each of my 5 XOs so they would dual boot this and they all work
> beautifully).

other options include Fedora 10 (I don't know where to find a build for it
as I don't use it)

for debian you can use debxo, which you can run on a USB, SD card, or load
to the internal flash of the XO

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/DebXOhttp://wiki.laptop.org/go/DebXO
http://lunge.mit.edu/~dilinger/debxo-latest/
it's available with a variety of desktops, or as a plain OS for you to add
whatever you want on top.

it has a file to define the keys (it's in the images or available
seperatly at
http://lunge.mit.edu/~dilinger/debxo-latest/30-keymap-olpc.fdi)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<!-- sticking this into /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/
should
      enable working keys -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
   <device>
     <!-- These are buttons synthesized in atkbd -->
     <match key="@input.originating_device:info.linux.driver" string="atkbd">
           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0x65:kp9</append> <!-- Game Key - Up -->
           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0x66:kp3</append> <!-- Game Key - Down -->
           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0x67:kp7</append> <!-- Game Key - Left -->
           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0x68:kp1</append> <!-- Game Key - Right -->

           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0xe065:kp8</append> <!-- Game Key - O -->
           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0xe066:kp2</append> <!-- Game Key - X -->
           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0xe067:kp4</append> <!-- Game Key - [] -->
           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0xe068:kp6</append> <!-- Game Key - V -->

           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0x73:prog1</append> <!-- mult/div -->
           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0x43:brightnessdown</append> <!-- Backlight Down (F9) -->
           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0x44:brightnessup</append> <!-- Backlight Up (F10) -->
           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0x57:volumedown</append> <!-- Volume Down (F11) -->
           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0x58:volumeup</append> <!-- Volume Up (F12) -->

           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0x59:fn</append>
<!-- Fn -->

           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0xe043:f9</append> <!-- Fn+Backlight Down (F9) -->
           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0xe044:f10</append> <!-- Fn+Backlight Up (F10) -->
           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0xe057:f11</append> <!-- Fn+Volume Down (F11) -->
           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0xe058:f12</append> <!-- Fn+Volume Up (F12) -->

           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0xe079:search</append> <!-- Search -->
           <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">0xe06e:chat</append> <!-- Chat -->

           <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">input.keymap</append>

     </match>
   </device>
</deviceinfo>

David Lang