my 8.2.1 wireless testing results

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Jan 29 14:03:57 EST 2009

I have tested 3 access points with staging-21 plus my fixed WEP kernel
that got included in staging-24. I tested as many connectivity modes
as I could and I repeated each connection 3 times. I also compared to
8.2.0. I detected and ignored occurances of bug #8104 by looking in
/var/log/messages every time I saw a failure (this bug appears often,
unfortunately). After successful association indicated by sugar, I
confirmed connectivity by accessing the AP's web admin interface using
Browse.

Edimax EW-7209APG
Open, WPA(TKIP) and WPA2(AES) working fine on both 8.2.0 and 8.2.1
WEP not working at all, not even working for my non-XO laptop.

Generic/unknown device (totally unbranded outside, but web interface
says Realtek is the manufacturer, and apparently the product packaging
said Gi-link). FCC ID PANWA2204A
Open and WEP64 working fine on both 8.2.0 and 8.2.1

WPA:
8.2.0 connects every time
8.2.1 initially failed to connect, AP logs said:
"wlan0: A STA is rejected by 802.1x daemon - 00:17:C4:3C:C8:A1"
(reproduced 2 or 3 times)
but now it connects fine. I have not been able to reproduce any other
connection failure, despite many retries on both versions.

WPA2:
8.2.0 connects most of the time
8.2.1 connects every time
and as above, I am not able to reproduce any more connection failures
on either version, despite many retries

3com 3CRWE454G72
Open, WEP64 + WEP128: Working on 8.2.0 and 8.2.1
WPA: seems totally broken, can't even connect from my non-XO laptop.

Conclusion from these 3 APs: Open, WEP64 + WEP128 still fully reliable
- no regressions.
WPA and WPA2 are unreliable (for the access points I have here) in
both 8.2.0 and 8.2.1. The results are too inconsistent for me to judge
whether there has been any improvement or regression since 8.2.0.

Daniel