my 8.2.1 wireless testing results

Daniel Drake dsd at
Thu Jan 29 14:03:57 EST 2009

I have tested 3 access points with staging-21 plus my fixed WEP kernel
that got included in staging-24. I tested as many connectivity modes
as I could and I repeated each connection 3 times. I also compared to
8.2.0. I detected and ignored occurances of bug #8104 by looking in
/var/log/messages every time I saw a failure (this bug appears often,
unfortunately). After successful association indicated by sugar, I
confirmed connectivity by accessing the AP's web admin interface using

Edimax EW-7209APG
Open, WPA(TKIP) and WPA2(AES) working fine on both 8.2.0 and 8.2.1
WEP not working at all, not even working for my non-XO laptop.

Generic/unknown device (totally unbranded outside, but web interface
says Realtek is the manufacturer, and apparently the product packaging
said Gi-link). FCC ID PANWA2204A
Open and WEP64 working fine on both 8.2.0 and 8.2.1

8.2.0 connects every time
8.2.1 initially failed to connect, AP logs said:
"wlan0: A STA is rejected by 802.1x daemon - 00:17:C4:3C:C8:A1"
(reproduced 2 or 3 times)
but now it connects fine. I have not been able to reproduce any other
connection failure, despite many retries on both versions.

8.2.0 connects most of the time
8.2.1 connects every time
and as above, I am not able to reproduce any more connection failures
on either version, despite many retries

3com 3CRWE454G72
Open, WEP64 + WEP128: Working on 8.2.0 and 8.2.1
WPA: seems totally broken, can't even connect from my non-XO laptop.

Conclusion from these 3 APs: Open, WEP64 + WEP128 still fully reliable
- no regressions.
WPA and WPA2 are unreliable (for the access points I have here) in
both 8.2.0 and 8.2.1. The results are too inconsistent for me to judge
whether there has been any improvement or regression since 8.2.0.


More information about the Devel mailing list