AMD to stop working on Geodes (Carlos Nazareno)

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Tue Jan 27 20:14:09 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Carlos Nazareno <object404 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > AMD sees no Geode chip replacement in sight
> > AMD on Monday said it has no replacement for the aging Geode low-power
> > chips that are used in netbooks and set-top boxes.
> > http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/274414/amd_sees_no_geode_chip_replacement_sight

The cost of developing and supporting a processor family is staggering.

AMD bought the Geode business from another company.  Often, when a company buys a business unit, that unit withers on the vine.  The "new kids on the block" have a difficult time establishing a strong place within the established "pecking order", so in the competition for resources, the new group often comes up short.  When there is an economic downturn, the new group is often the first to go.

AMD barely has the resources to maintain a competitive stance in the part of the market that has traditionally been their core, especially now that the economy is bad.

I'm sure that AMD would be very happy if they had enough money to go after the low power market, but they just don't.