[ANNOUNCE] Sucrose 0.83.4 Development Release

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sun Jan 25 06:34:33 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 16:42, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> I actually would have appreciated more feedback when I asked for it
>> some months ago. Anyway, I trust this layout change will simplify
>> things for you at the end.
>
> Sorry, I probably hid at the sight of "Journal rewrite proposal".

You got distracted with shiny stuff!

> There were several in the air. The changes you have made are good, I
> just didn't know that one of the journal reimplementations had
> actually gone ahead :-)

Well, shipping the old DS wasn't really an option, so I had to go on
with my work even if it risked being dumped further in the release
cycle.

> Is it possible for you to add a single file that says the "journal
> storage" version at the root of it? Something like
>
>   $ cat .sugar/default/datastore/store/format
>   2

We actually had it already, have updated the wiki page with info about it.

http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/DatastoreRewrite

> That would make things a ton easier for ds-backup. ds-backup client
> can read that file and tell the server that it's a "format 2" backup,
> so the server can re-org the files before the client rsyncs across...
>
> Without something like that, an upgrade to a new format in a large
> school would swamp RF for days...

Sounds good, I guess you can do the reorg with hard links in the same
script where we had the metadata exported to json.

Regards,

Tomeu