[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Sucrose 0.83.4 Development Release

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 06:08:08 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> Well, it's customary to introduce an additional state where the bug is
> fixed in the developer's intentions, but not yet QA'd:
>
>  NEW -> ASSIGNED -> FIXED -> CLOSED

Bernie,

99% of my commits are "working on it, mate" ;-)

It's not about turning the "quality knob", is about claiming that I
"fix" or "close" something way before I know whether this commit fixes
it or not.

To recap: writing the commit msg happens very early in the process.
Claiming to fix or close a bug at that time is... preposterous.

I'll normally have tested it on my machine, but will ask the bug
reporter to confirm it works for them and ask him/her to close the bug
if they are happy with the fix.

The Debian workflow, specially "Closes", is geared for the work of a
_packager_, who is likely to be applying a well known and tested patch
from upstream. So the packager can say with decent confidence
"Closes".

A packager that merges in new code and puts "closes" immediately in
the changelog is acting blinded by his own ego. Given the track record
of Debian, that is unlikely to happen :-)

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions