Problem running Sugar on openSUSE 11.0

James Simmons jim.simmons at
Fri Jan 23 10:35:21 EST 2009

OK, I uninstalled both sugar and sugar-activities, then installed just
sugar.  It did not complain of missing dependencies, and seemed to
install just fine.  Then I tried running sugar from the command line as
you instructed:

dbus-launch sugar
matchbox-window-manager: Failed to connect to session manager
root window unavailible (maybe another wm is running?)
DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module
  import sha
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sugar-session", line 41, in <module>
    from jarabe.desktop.homewindow import HomeWindow
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/jarabe/desktop/",
line 24, in <module>
    from jarabe.desktop.meshbox import MeshBox
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/jarabe/desktop/",
line 35, in <module>
    from sugar.activity import activityfactory
line 29, in <module>
    from sugar.presence import presenceservice
line 32, in <module>
    from sugar.presence.activity import Activity
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sugar/presence/",
line 27, in <module>
    import telepathy
ImportError: No module named telepathy

I can see a couple of things here:

1).  It still is complaining about the root window, so I'm guessing that
even if it worked it wouldn't run in a window like sugar-jhbuild does.
2).  It still is complaining about telepathy.

The traceback above is after I installed nearly everything
telepathy-related from YAST.  The list of all I installed is as follows:

 rpm -qa | grep telepathy

As you can see python-telepathy is installed.

I hope you can figure out what is wrong here.  I haven't been able to
get a fully functioning development environment for Sugar on either of
my Linux workstations, and it has made it difficult to write and test
Activities.  I considered replacing openSUSE with Fedora but the Fedora
live CD seems to need a lot more memory to run than I have (I have 256 meg).

Thanks again,

James Simmons