Problem running Sugar on openSUSE 11.0

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Thu Jan 22 12:02:29 EST 2009

Jigish,

I upgraded to open SUSE 11.1 last night, added the repositories and
installed sugar and sugar-activities as you instructed.  Everything
seemed to install just fine, except that sugar-activities said it
required etoys and that was not available.  It did let me ignore this
dependency and continue.

When I tried to logout and log back in with a Sugar session instead of
my usual WindowMaker the screen went black for a bit, then I found
myself at the login prompt.  I tried it a couple of times.  Then I
logged back in using WindowMaker and tried to run "sugar" at the command
prompt.  I got a stack trace with a message saying module "hippo" was
not found.  I went to Yast and found that there were a couple of Hippo
Canvas RPMs that were not installed, so I tried installing those.
Running "sugar" gave me this:

sugar
matchbox-window-manager: Failed to connect to session manager
root window unavailible (maybe another wm is running?)
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/jarabe/desktop/meshbox.py:19:
DeprecationWarnin
g: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
  import sha
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sugar-session", line 41, in <module>
    from jarabe.desktop.homewindow import HomeWindow
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/jarabe/desktop/homewindow.py",
line 24,
 in <module>
    from jarabe.desktop.meshbox import MeshBox
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/jarabe/desktop/meshbox.py",
line 35, in
 <module>
    from sugar.activity import activityfactory
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sugar/activity/activityfactory.py", lin
e 29, in <module>
    from sugar.presence import presenceservice
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sugar/presence/presenceservice.py", lin
e 32, in <module>
    from sugar.presence.activity import Activity
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sugar/presence/activity.py",
line 27, i
n <module>
    import telepathy
ImportError: No module named telepathy

I tried YAST again to see if telepathy was installed.  It looked to me
like it was.  There were a few RPMs related to telepathy that I had not
installed, but none of them looked relevant to Sugar so I didn't try to
install them.  So this is where I am now and I hope you can suggest
something.

I appreciate the work you put in creating this, by the way, even though
I haven't got it working yet.  My current Sugar test environment in on
another machine running Xubuntu and while it was very easy to set up it
is incomplete, buggy, and badly out of date.

Also, it looks like your version of Sugar does not make use of Zephyr to
run in a window like sugar-jhbuild does.  I find being able to run
multiple instances of the Sugar environment on the same box very useful
for testing the sharing features that all Sugar activities should
support.  Is there a way to run what you have created this way?

Thanks again,

James Simmons