[Server-devel] XS 05

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 06:37:36 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> I have not run a full install for the latest xs-0.5, I ran an upgrade
> from a prior 0.5 install... I'm thinking that this could be a
> kernel/anaconda issue with the change in kernel headers for 2.6.27.

Frankly, I think it's the "USB is not really supported" issue :-/  --
so far, I've seen 2 problems that disappear if I use a cdrom...

 - Anaconda dies with a python error before it starts installing RPMs.
The error is about an iterator over partitions or disk devices. This
happens in graphical and text mode (less often in text mode).

 - Anaconda dies badly (the computer switches off - kernel hang?)
while installing one of the selinux policy packages. It may be an OOM
issue.

They are somewhat more likely with Via/EPIA systems.

However, you point out interesting issues. What problems does the
mismatched kernel cause?

> And the patch in my custom anaconda that doesn't copy stage2.img to RAM
> when using a hard drive for the source. My version of these patches
> apply cleanly against F9's anaconda version.
>
> This rpm would need to be installed on the build system and added to the
> main XS repo. I'm just at the point of testing, loader builds fine,
> looks to install the modules when run. I'm re-rolling the installation
> media so as mkimages adds the needed modules, so loader can install
> them, then on to testing the partitioning....

I am keen on your anaconda magic, but it has to work really well for a
bugfix revision... otherwise, 0.6 might be a good chance...?

What do you think?

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions