Problem running Sugar on openSUSE 11.0

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon Jan 19 10:03:36 EST 2009

Cyberorg,

I recently upgraded my PC from openSUSE 10.2 to openSUSE 11.0.  On my
Sugar environment.  It was not fully functional, but it worked OK for
what I needed it for.  However, after upgrading my XO to the latest
Sugar I realized that I needed a better Sugar environment.

I upgraded openSUSE to 11.0, deleted my sugar-jhbuild directory and
started over.  I kept failing because it was looking for libraries in
/opt/gnome/lib that I didn't have.

I looked on the SUSE page (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_on_SUSE) to
see what advice I could get and found your install instructions for
zypper.  I tried them out and they *seemed* to work just fine.
Unfortunately, when I tried logging in with a Sugar session it died
almost immediately.  I tried running "sugar" from the command line and
this is what I got:

sugar
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sugar-shell", line 30, in <module> from main import main
  File "/usr/share/sugar/shell/main.py", line 35, in <module>  import
view.Shell
  File "/usr/share/sugar/shell/view/Shell.py", line 38, in <module>
from view.frame import frame
  File "/usr/share/sugar/shell/view/frame/frame.py", line 29, in
<module>  from view.frame.activitiestray import ActivitiesTray
  File "/usr/share/sugar/shell/view/frame/activitiestray.py", line 23,
in <module>  from sugar.graphics.tray import HTray
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sugar/graphics/tray.py", line
22, in <module>  from sugar.graphics.palette import ToolInvoker
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sugar/graphics/palette.py",
line 924, in <module>  class WidgetInvoker(Invoker):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gobject/__init__.py",
line 40, in __init__cls._install_properties()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gobject/__init__.py",
line 68, in _install_properties " or getter. This is not allowed" % (cls,))
TypeError: GObject subclass <class
'sugar.graphics.palette.WidgetInvoker'> defines do_get/set_property and
it also uses a property which a custom setter or getter. This is not allowed

I had to compile a bunch of stuff from source to get sugar-jhbuild to
work on 10.2 so i did a "make uninstall" on everything sugar-related I
compiled.  This had no effect at all on the messages I have attached.
I'm stumped here and hope you can give me some insight on what is
happening and how I might go about fixing it.

James Simmons