XS 05

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 11:15:24 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Henry VĂ©lez Molina
<henry.laptop at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Martin for you answer.

No problem!

> We have been trying to install the server via the "Kickstart", but that
> happens when anaconda  to start  can not do it and the screen turns off.

Hmmmm, I can think of some possible causes...

 - your download was corrupt or truncated - check that the sha1sum of
the iso is

   $ sha1sum OLPCXS-0.5.1-dev03-i386.iso
   eab0fd3596bbfca532eec51eb5e774cb00b25cd8  OLPCXS-0.5.1-dev03-i386.iso

 - You are hitting a low mem condition while installing the
selinux-policies package. How much RAM does the machine have?

> We
> tried the solution that is in the wiki-press tab and add "text" and nothing
> happens. One of the ways that we return to the terminal is pressing
> Ctrl+Alt+2, then Ctrl+Alt+1.

That can help if the problem is with RAM - I think you need to hit tab
earlier -- before the graphical installer starts. There is a very
early screen, as soon as the CD or USB stick is read - hit escape
*there*...

> Could be the GPU problem?

Very unlikely to be GPU or CPU

> What can be do in these cases?

- Ensure the iso is good (with sha1sum), check memory, try to uyse the
text installer.
- Installing from USB is a bit less reliable - try with a CD
- Try is to install a standard Fedora 9 on the machine - sometimes
there are subtle incompatibilities there...

> Is there another way to start the installation?

Not really :-/

keep us posted on your progress so we can help...;

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions