Fedora Desktop on XO

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 7 13:06:01 EST 2009

Erik Garrison wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 07:47:36AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> One thing, we try not to do, is deviate from upstream and apply many
>> patches like some of the other Xfce based spin-off's do which is a
>> general Fedora policy as well and not something specific to the Xfce
>> team.
>
> The patches I described (e.g. desktop icon creation) appear to have
> been backported from the development version of XFCE.  Is backporting
> patches from the mainline XFCE development against policy?

There isn't a strict policy against anything, there is a set of
recommendations outlined at

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WhyUpstream
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#All_patches_should_have_an_upstream_bug_link_or_comment

Backporting is usually more accepted since the upstream path is clear
and we don't have carry them forever. If you have specific suggestions
(and pointers to those patches if any), then please report them in
bugzilla and the maintainers involved can consider them on a case by
case basis.

If you wish to discuss ideas, post to fedora-devel list or ping nirik
(Kevin Fenzi) in #fedora-devel. I am mether on irc and available on all
the usual channels as well.

Rahul